27 February, 2011

Frangipani - "Queen Napranum"


















Australian frangipani growing history varied and colorful, just like the plants themselves. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries in Australia's top end, Christian missionaries coming mainly from Samoa and Vanuatu, established mission settlements for the local Aborigines. They brought with them their favourite sacred frangipanis for planting around the missions.

Although the missions were finally abandoned, old mango trees, coconut palms and frangipanis have survived, despite cyclones, prolonged droughts and frequent bush fires. This cultivator, "Queen Napranum" was discovered growing wild at an abandoned Samoan-run mission in Top End country. Cuttings from these trees were taken in early 1920's and these days one can see many "Queen Napranum" trees in Australian gardens. This variety have great drought resistance and incredible vigor.

Imagine my delight when I spotted this tree on my early morning walk! Knowing it's history, I just had to take a picture and to admire it's special and beautiful colorful blooms.
The sun was just about to come out and this frangipani's aroma was strong peach scent - heady and intoxicated! They say that "fragrance lies in the nose of the inhaler", of course, I agree and with so many varieties of frangipanis - what a sweet opportunity for investigation!

17 comments:

  1. How lovely! I've recently propagated the pink variety. It is growing healthily. My red one is blooming quite profusely. But I always notice yellow spots under the older leaves. Is it due to the clay soil? Or is it normal?

    I showed the photo of the yellow variety. I don't have that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly imagine your excitement...and I can see why this one is called the Queen! The color is so beautiful! All of mine are just starting to send out leaf shoots. I don't have any that look like this one though!!! I'll be on the look out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you've got me excited about my Frangipani, ready come out of dormancy in a couple of months and hopefully bloom for me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! Yes you are right and i agree with your post. I really enjoyed frangipani growing, i like it..
    Thanks for sharing.. Dogwood trees Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kalachuchi is the name of this plant here in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this tree, the flowers are so so so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am passionate about flowers, too, and their flowers are beautiful!

    Adriano.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so gorgeous! The closest I get to plumeria are the plumeria-scented candles we get here. Ahhh to live where it is just a bit tropical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love much this flowers younger in my childhood i have a frangipanii tree in my garden.
    greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those frangipanis are like sweets! Candies. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just Grogeous! You got a pretty plant there you know? I really enjoyed frangipani pics you have here, i like it..
    Thanks for sharing..
    online tree nursery
    http://www.onlineplantnursery.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Wonderful. Hard to grow and flower them here - neither enough sunshine or warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the history of these magnificent flower and tree. I love them and their perfume. My daughter just gave me a dark red one to plant. I have some growing around my garden. My neighbours trees hank over into my garden, such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the history of these magnificent flower and tree. I love them and their perfume. My daughter just gave me a dark red one to plant. I have some growing around my garden. My neighbours trees hank over into my garden, such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, klaraau01.

    Good feeling works.
    Thank you for your visiting always.

    I wish You all the best.
    Greetings.

    From Japan, ruma ❃

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely colored frangipani. I have one color, a pink. A friend of mine cut hers back many years ago and gave me 3 cuttings. They are in full blooms right now and really add to my tropical s.e. FL gardens.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete